Our LGT Tags are individually programmed with a unique private key per tag that the tag then uses to generate a checksum for verification. Because each tag has a unique private key, tags need to be individually programmed.
Legitimate provides pre-encoded tags through our logistics and integration partners. For creators and brands that wish to encode tags themselves during the manufacturing process or have specific requirements including numbered editions, we grant private access to our encoding app on a case-by-case basis.
- iPhone released during or after 2018 including 11, 12, 13, 14, SE 2nd Gen, and more
- Latest iOS version installed (Open the Settings app, open the General menu, and select Software Update)
- Apple ID - this is used to grant your account permission to download our private app from TestFlight
- 1.You will receive an email invitation from Legitimate through TestFlight to install our private app.
- 2.Once the invitation has been accepted, open TestFlight and login with that Apple ID.
- 3.Install the LGT Tag Manager app inside TestFlight
- 1.Select US Virginia as the server location
- 1.For manufacturing and encoding partners in Mainland China, if our US Virginia server is blocked and the login contains an error, please try our gateways in Hong Kong or Guangzhou. (Because the gateways relay information to our servers in the US, connection speeds will be slower and will impact encoding and verification time)
- 2.You will be provided account information including an email and password to login.
- 1.If you have not been provided an account, you may create an account and request Legitimate to activate the account with the correct permissions for your needs.
Tap the 3 dots on the top right corner of the screen after login to open the expanded menu
The iPhone's NFC reader is at the top of the iPhone. For easier encoding, remove all cases and protective coverings from the iPhone before encoding or verifying.
- 1.Legitimate will provide the relevant information to input into the forms on the Batch Encoding page.
- 1.Tag Template ID is used to group each SKU or activation together
- 2.Advanced Options can be set including token ID number for numbered items.
- 3.The form information will be retained for consecutive encodings and token ID number will automatically be incremented if available.
- 2.Press the Encode button
- 3.Align the top of the iPhone with the center of the tag and hold for 3-5s
- 1.If the encoding is successful and the chip programming is complete, the Number of Tags Encoded will increment and the tag identifier will show.
- 2.If the encoding is not successful, the app will display an error message. If this message shows, please hit the Encode button again and try encoding the same tag again. This usually happens when the tag is removed too quickly from the phone during encoding.
Occasionally during the encoding process, the app does not display errors when the encoding process fails because the tag is defective and does not correctly compute the verification checksum required for Legitimate's technology to work. The defect and error rate is about 2-3 tags per 10,000 tags. Therefore, all tags should go through a verification process after encoding for quality control.
- 1.Press the Scan button to start verifying
- 2.Place the tag near the top of the iPhone to verify
- 1.The iPhone will display a warning if the tag did not verify properly.
- 2.If the tag passed verification, the Number of Tags Verified will increment.
- 3.If there are tags that repeatedly do not pass verification after multiple encoding attempts, please remember the Tag Template ID and notify Legitimate afterwards to exclude that tag from the our system.
We suggest that two people with two separate iPhones work in a pair, one to encode and the other to verify.
In a typical 8 hour work day with reasonable breaks in between, 2 people should be able to process about 6000-8000 tags a day once familiar with the process.